The St. Nicholas Stephen and Areti Cherpelis Hellenic School
43-15 196th Street Flushing, NY 11358
Principal: Panagiota Lilikakis
Classes are on Friday from 4:15-6:15pm for 6th, 7th and 8th Grades; on Saturday from 10am-1pm for Pre-K through 5th Grade. There is also a new program, The St. Nicholas Hellenic Orthodox Life of Academy. To learn more, please click here for more information.
Our mission, at The St. Nicholas Stephen & Areti Cherpelis Hellenic School, is to instill a love of the Hellenic language, values, traditions, and culture, along with the Christian Orthodox faith, as the foundation for future Greek-American generations’ education- paedia.
Paedia is viewed as the cultivation of the body, mind, and spirit through a safe, nurturing, and fun learning environment for all students with the intent to create passionate learners. Each student is lead into academic excellence through the Socratic method, maieutic, that supports critical thinking and fosters natural curiosity while promoting lifelong learning. Students, with the support and collaboration of their educators and families are lead into character development by becoming compassionate and contributing citizens of their community. Through the force of agape, students emerge into philanthropists who soon realize that the real achievement of happiness springs only through noble living.
Message from the Principal
My name is Panagiota Lilikaki and I am excited to introduce myself as the new principal of The St. Nicholas Stephen & Areti Cherpelis Hellenic School. In 2000, when my two children attended the Hellenic School forming life-long friendships, I became a member of the Parent-Association and, in 2013, I was offered a position as a teacher. As both parent and teacher, I was happy to serve my community, which emphasized academic excellence and character development. I feel blessed to been to join the Saint Nicholas community in this new role.
As Principal, my goal is to continue serving our community that fosters our children, with agape. Not only am I excited to begin working with your children, but I am also excited to be working with you. As the proverb states, “it takes a village to raise a child, and a community to educate it.” Thus, we are all part of our students’ paedia.
Once again, I am very thankful and honored to return back home to serve our children to the best of my ability with the blessings of our priests, support of a very dedicated and qualified faculty, trust of the Parish Council and School Board, and the unconditional love and help of the PTA.
I look forward to meeting you soon,
To sign up for email notifications and announcements, please fill out this form and return it to the office of the Greek Afternoon School.
The Goals and Objectives of our School are to pass on to the new generations of Greek-Americans our Greek Language and Orthodox Faith, our Greek History and Culture, and to prepare our youngsters to face the challenges of tomorrow.
Founded in 1957, the Hellenic School is a jewel of our community. Accredited by the Ministry of Education of Greece (1973) and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, it has received numerous citations and awards from the Ministry of Education of Greece, University of Crete and from various community organizations.
- 1. Greek Language Classes for Nursery and Kindergarten students every Saturday, from 10:00 am-12 pm. Consider our program: “Learning and Entertainment.”
- 2. Greek Language Classes for native Greek speakers from First to Sixth grade, Monday-Thursday.
- 3. Greek as a Second Language for non-native speakers from First to Sixth grade.
- 4. Greek Language Classes for Seventh and Eighth grades.
- 5. Greek Language Preparation classes for the N.Y. State Greek Regents Examination.
- 6. Classes in Greek History, Religion and Greek Culture.
- 7. Tuition-free Greek dances for all registered students.
- 8. Free theater classes and end-of-the-year performance with Greek plays or Greek tragedies for all registered students.
- 9. Scholarships for all Eighth Graders.
- 10. Annual Scholarships for alumni.
- 11. All faculty members are certified by the State Education Department and /or the Ministry of Education of Greece.
For more information, please contact us at 718-357-4260.